Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bernd Becher, 75, Photographer of German Industrial Landscape, Dies











My photography professor from undergraduate school sent me this link yesterday from the NY Times. I remember being exposed to the Becher's work as an undergraduate photographer, and initially being underwhelmed. It took me a while to warm up to the cold facades of blast furnaces, water towers, and mines. However, once I did, I was influenced greatly by the full frontal no nonsense approach to seeing. My interest in their work however falls short at the word "typology", often thrown around when discussing the Becher's photography. The study of types. Well no kidding.

Google image search for "Typology" I found not one Becher photograph, but ran across this gem. I'm particularly enamored with the fact that Brooke Shields is the "artist" type.

No comments: